Around lunch time today, I once again found myself craving Chinese food, however ordering up a pint of Spicy Ramen & Shrimp from Super China Panda Great Wall Garden House would have been way too hard. I needed food that required less work of me. And by “less work” I mean food that would take less than ten minutes to cook, would not require me to talk to anyone, and I could make with ingredients I already had in the house. Less work is good, and even better when it tastes good.
I made up my own white trash spicy ramen & shrimp called (you won’t believe it!)– Soiled Spicy Ramen & Shrimp. As it turns out, I REALLY dug it and I think it only took about 6 minutes to make.
- 1 pack of 10¢ ramen noodles (discard the season packet, we’ll be adding enough sodium).
- 5 thawed, frozen shrimp (the pre-cooked sort you find in bag in your grocer’s freezer).
- 1 cup (or slightly less) of low sodium chicken stock.
- 1 cup (or slightly less) of water.
- Dash of low sodium soy sauce.
- Swirl of sriracha sauce.
- Dash of black pepper.
- Thaw shrimp under running water according to package directions and sit aside (I clipped the tails off in advance).
- Combine water and stock, bring to a boil and add ramen noodles.
- Cook for three minutes as directed.
- With about a minute left, add in shrimp to heat them through.
- Removed noodles from heat, drain and quickly return to pot so as to retain some of the liquid.
- Mix in soy sauce.
- Top with black pepper and sriracha sauce.
- Eat (don’t burn the top seven layers of your tongue off).
I’ve been thinking about making this ever since I saw some packs of ramen noodles in the back of the cupboard that were leftover from the Great (but brief) B-Man Ramen Gorge of Spring 2015. I can fully admit that this meal may be a new low in white man Chinese cooking, but I really dug it and will make it again for sure. My apologies to Chinese cooks worldwide.
Note: The Chinese characters above spell out “white trash.” Well, at least I hope they do, for all I know they say “DIE FAT WHITE CAPITALIST PIG MAN!!”
Photo: Photo is by me, but I wish I wouldn’t have taken it. You’ll have to read the next post to find out why.